Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Are you going to Heaven or Hell?

Wow, isn't that a sobering question?
As I wrote the headline, I felt a great sense of soberness come over me.  Ultimately, this is the most important question for each of us and one I think we all need to ponder from time to time.

Perhaps this question comes to mind: Can we know now where we will be after we die?
The short answer is, "yes."  But wait a minute, isn't there such a thing as deception?  Can't a person think they're going to heaven when in fact they will not make it?  The answer to this question is also, "yes."

Before we can answer a definitive "yes" or "no," we need to know the criteria by which we enter Heaven.
This seems to be the biggest hangup and source of deception.  We all know that we have rules here on earth.  Those rules are generally made available to everyone so we don't have any excuses when we break them.  If there are rules, punishment is also implied.

What would happen if you got pulled over by a police officer for breaking the law and you told her, "sorry, officer, I didn't know it was illegal to exceed the speed limit?"  Are they required to let you go because of ignorance?  Nope.  That's one of the first things they taught us in Senior Political Science in the US--Ignorance is no excuse.  If you break the law, they have every right to enforce punishment.

Have you broken any of God's laws?
The short answer is Romans 3:23 NLT
For everyone has sinned; we all fall short of God’s glorious standard.

This brings us to question, "what are God's laws and what is the punishment for breaking them?"

Have you ever told a lie, no matter how small?  Have you ever stolen anything, no matter how insignificant?  Have you ever looked at another person and lusted after them?

Here is what the Bible says in Revelation 21:8 NLT (I added emphasis to some sections)
“But cowards, unbelievers, the corrupt, murderers, the immoral, those who practice witchcraft, idol worshipers, and all liars—their fate is in the fiery lake of burning sulfur. This is the second death.”

James 2:10 NLT
For the person who keeps all of the laws except one is as guilty as a person who has broken all of God’s laws.

Yikes!!

So, now we know some of God's rules and have seen that we've broken at least one of them--which is just as bad as breaking all of them!  And, we find that our punishment is an unhappy one in a lake of fire!

If this is all there is, then it is clear that every one of us is going to Hell--no exceptions.
There is, however, a great promise of hope!  There is a person who has paid this punishment for us--and his name is Jesus Christ.  The Bible tells us that if we repent of our wrong-doings (sin), turn to God and believe in God's Son, Jesus, that we will be saved!

Romans 10:9-10 NLT:
If you openly declare that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is by believing in your heart that you are made right with God, and it is by openly declaring your faith that you are saved.

Romans 3:21-22 NLT
But now God has shown us a way to be made right with him without keeping the requirements of the law, as was promised in the writings of Moses and the prophets long ago. We are made right with God by placing our faith in Jesus Christ. And this is true for everyone who believes, no matter who we are.

What does it mean to believe?
Simply agreeing with the Bible will not save you.
James 2:17-20 NLT
So you see, faith by itself isn’t enough. Unless it produces good deeds, it is dead and useless.
Now someone may argue, “Some people have faith; others have good deeds.” But I say, “How can you show me your faith if you don’t have good deeds? I will show you my faith by my good deeds.”
You say you have faith, for you believe that there is one God. Good for you! Even the demons believe this, and they tremble in terror. How foolish! Can’t you see that faith without good deeds is useless?
What I think James is saying is that if you really believe, your actions will show it.  Now realize this: you will never earn salvation through works!  You definitely don't want to go down that path!

Ephesians 2:8-10 NLT
God saved you by his grace when you believed. And you can’t take credit for this; it is a gift from God. Salvation is not a reward for the good things we have done, so none of us can boast about it. For we are God’s masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things he planned for us long ago.

Also, don't think that you can go on living in sin.
1 John 5:18 NLT
 We know that God’s children do not make a practice of sinning, for God’s Son holds them securely, and the evil one cannot touch them.

So, keeping the above in mind: Are you going to Heaven or Hell?

If you know that you're going to the lake of fire or you don't know, please pray the following prayer from your heart--don't ever pray something you don't mean:
Dear God, I am so terribly sorry for my rebellion against you!  I'm a sinner and need your forgiveness.  I know that without your help I am going to Hell--there's no questioning that.  I place my life in your hands from this day forward and believe in my heart 100% that Jesus died for my sins and that you raised him from the dead.  I invite your Son, Jesus Christ to come into my heart as my personal Savior.  I trust that you will change my heart so that I desire all good things and to hate all that is evil in my life.  Thank you so much for sending Jesus to die on the cross for my sins and to pay for them in a way that I could never do on my own!

Did you just receive Jesus?  If you did, I want to be the first one to congratulate and welcome you into God's family!  I encourage you to read the Bible a little bit every day--maybe start with the Gospel of John and work your way through to the end.  I also want to encourage you to find a Bible-believing church to fellowship with other believers, where you can be baptized, worship, and serve with other Christians.  Write today's date down!  It's your new birthday--you've been born again!!  There will be no other day as great as this one in your history on this earth!  Oh, and don't forget to tell others about how Jesus saved you from going to Hell!  Remember, everyone is guilty of breaking God's law and the punishment is stiff.  Good for you!  Now, go out and celebrate your freedom in Jesus Christ with someone!

1 John 5:13 NLT
I have written this to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, so that you may know you have eternal life.

I will ask this question one more time:

Are you going to Heaven or Hell?

No comments:

Post a Comment